E-Newsletter - September 2010
Yoga Gives Back
For the cost of one yoga class, you can change a life.

SUCCESS STORY, Grameen Koota, India

Kamalamma: Learning Beyond Micro Loans

Kamalamma About an hour's drive from Bangalore, Tumkur houses a variety of micro-enterprises, one of which is Kamalamma's poultry shop. Five years ago, Kamalamma (50) began feeding it with credit from Grameen Koota. With her first loan, Kamalamma bought containment units for live birds. Her second loan was invested in a machine for cleaning poultry before sales. "I wanted to build a more attractive space so I used my later loans to renovate the shop," she says.

Kamalamma was married at 13 and dropped out of school soon afterwards. Experience as a mciroentrepreneur has steadily honed her capabilities in financial management. Both Kamalamma and her husband have attended the many Socio-economic Development (SED) workshops that Grameen Koota organizes. "I have learnt about health, law and a lot about managing a business," she explains.

Kamalamma now puts all her efforts into growing her micro enterprise. "I want to buy this place," she points to a shop just opposite to hers, "and set up another outlet." However, to set up another poultry shop, she requires at least Rs 60,000 ($1200), which exceeds Grameen Koota's loan limit of Rs 30,000 ($600). Borrowers like Kamalamma, who has graduated from the group-lending program of microfinance, can access larger credit amounts from Maarg Financial Services, a division of GFS that delivers loans to individual micro entrepreneurs. Eager to expand her footprint in Tumkur, Kamalamma has committed to planning her new venture in detail and then approaching Maarg for financial assistance.

Grameen Koota started offering small loans to 50 local women in 2000. Today, it reaches over 400,000 women in the states of Karnataka, Mahashtra, and Tamil Nadu. Yoga Gives Back continues to support their campaign to reach to 2 million poor and low income families by 2012.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Yoga Gives Back Kicks Off New DONATION CLASS RELAY!!

This month, YGB Ambassadors Elena Brower and Kino MacGregor kick off the new YGB Donation Class Relay from New York and Miami. After each event, they will pass their virtual torches to the teachers of their choice, who will host their own donation classes the following month. The YGB Donation Class Relay will connect the global yoga community as the torch is passed from one yoga teacher to another, beyond the borders of yoga schools, companies, and even countries, raising awareness as well as funds to help the poor in India.

Check out the YGB Donation Class Relay page for more details.

Elena Brower Elena Brower, New York
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 12:00 NOON

Virayoga
580 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
(212) 334-9960
View event on Facebook

Kino MacGregor Kino MacGregor, Miami
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 7:00-9:00PM

The Standard Yoga, Miami
40 Island Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139
(305) 673-1717
View event on Facebook

Women's Empowerment flyer"Women's Empowerment" Workshop Series #2 with Jo Tastula, Cristi Christensen and Isabelle de Soleil
A seamless flow, with each teacher bringing her own strength and inspiration.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1, 8:00-10:00PM
Exhale Spa
245 South Main St., Venice, CA 90291
(310) 450-7676
View event on Facebook

Women's Empowerment flyer"Thank You Mother India" with Jorgen Christiansson
An amazing asana class, featuring a traditional Indian feast, gifts, free parking, and a wonderful heartfelt experience.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2:30-6:30PM
Electric Lodge Studio
1416 Electric Ave., Venice, CA 90291 (behind Abbott Kinney)
View event on Facebook

View updates and more upcoming events on our Facebook page and web site!

Yoga Gives Back debuts at Maria Shriver's Women's Conference

October 25-26, Long Beach Convention Center

Hosted by California First Lady Maria Shriver and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Women's Conference® 2010 is the nation's premier forum for women, empowering women to be Architects of Change® in their own lives, their communities and the world. More than 140 extraordinary speakers come together with 30,000 women to be educated, inspired and empowered. The Women's Conference is also a global online community, where more than one million women gather to learn how to truly change the world.

Come visit YGB booth at the Health + Wellness Section!!

Interested in becoming a special sponsor at this event? Contact us!!

RECENT EVENTS AND APPRECIATION

SUNDAY, JULY 18 @ YOGIS ANONYMOUS

Yoganation's Bhakti Vinyasa Class
with Sara Ivanhoe

A very special 90-minute class with amazing details, followed by Sambazon's Acai drinks. Thank you so much Sara, we learned a lot in this class.

SUNDAY, JULY 25 @ THE HUB

Midsummer's Night Sangha: A Night of Fun, Flow, and Friends
with Sarah Ezrin, Mary Beth La Rue, and Jocelyn Kay Lee

A fun 90-minute class followed by great raffle prizes from Lululemon, Manduka, and Le Pain Quotidien, and refreshments by Sambazon's Acai drinks and Whole Foods, Venice. Thank you for this amazing ensemble with such enthusiasm. The Hub is a very special place.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 14 @ JAYAMON CENTER
SUNDAY, AUGUST 15 @ IN THE MUDRA YOGA & DANCE STUDIO
A Two Day Special Donation Class Series
with Amanollah, Suzanne Strachen, Rose Ghavamim, and Kevin Hayunga

Live Kirtan by Sura Das and the Temple Bajan Band. Vegeterian dinner by Govindas. YGB's first event in this area was so much fun. Thanks Suzanne and Amanollah for hosting them!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 21 @ TRUE YOGA
Foundation, Support and Partnership
with Steven Woodruff and Surreina Gallego

Steven and Surreina introduced the concepts of Foundation, Support and Partnership as they related to a well balanced, healthy asana practice and to the welfare of the world community and humanity as a whole. Thanks Steven and Surreina for making this a very special class, and hope this is just the first of many in the valley!!

View more event photos on our Facebook page!

Exciting News!

- Our new 4-minute video "From Transaction to Transformation: Jayashree's Journey" will be out soon. Edited by Emmy Award Winning Editor Beth Gallagher. Music donated by DJ Drez. Check out our web site for updates!

- YGB welcomes new members Shamanth Shankar from Houston, Sherry Staiger from Long Beach, and Steven Woodruff from L.A.

- YGB takes its third volunteer trip to India. This November, YGB will visit NISHTHA in Kolkotta, where we just started sending funds for small micro credit programs for destitute women, Chennai for a potential partnership to support sex workers to become entrepreneurs, and Bangalore to get more updates from Grameen Koota. YGB will also visit the Deenabandhu orphanage to learn how we could support orphan girls' future education. YGB will explore a variety of projects for sustainable livelihoods in India and bring back real stories to share with the yoga community.

IN THIS ISSUE

SUCCESS STORY
Kamalamma: Learning Beyond Micro Loans

UPCOMING EVENTS

YGB DEBUTS AT WOMEN'S CONFERENCE

RECENT EVENTS AND APPRECIATION

EXCITING NEWS!

DO YOU KNOW...?

How many people in the world live on less than $2.50 a day?

a) 100 million
b) 1 billion
c) 3 billion
(The world population is about 6 billion.)

(Scroll down for answer.)

FOLLOW

Follow Yoga Gives Back on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!

JOIN
Sign up to receive this e-newsletter.

Email address:

DONATION

Your donation helps Yoga Gives Back's campaign to alleviate poverty in India through microfinancing. To make a donation, click the link below.

Do You Know...? answer:
c) 3 billion
Source: Grameen Foundation

Yoga Gives Back is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization.

Question, comment, want to learn more?
Email info@yogagivesback.org.

www.yogagivesback.org