E-Newsletter - December 2010
Yoga Gives Back
For the cost of one yoga class, you can change a life.

Happy Holidays!!! And BREAKING NEWS...

Yoga Gives Back will be included in the Martha Stewart Show this Wednesday, December 22nd as part of her Giving Show. New Yoga Gives Back ambassador, Sophie Herbert, will talk about the Deenabandhu Orphanage, which YGB will start supporting. (See Exciting News below for more details.)

SUCCESS STORY, Bangalore, India

Your contribution is making a direct impact.

Jayashree and familyThe YGB team visited Jayashree for the third time this November. As always, Jayashree and her husband Ramo welcomed us with big smiles. Their 4-year-old son, Hoysin, who is now speaking and spelling in English, was there as well.

This year Jayashree qualified for her fourth loan from Grameen Koota. She received 30,000 Rs. (about $700), which is quadruple the amount of her first loan in 2007. Jayashree and Ramo decided to put the entire loan amount toward their eldest son, Gopovsad's medical college education. Fullfilling the family dream and top priority, Gopovsad is now enrolled in college and is studying to be a dentist/surgeon, away from home.

Jayashree sewingIn order to pay off the loan, Jayashree runs two businesses—a tailoring shop and a snack shop. Jayashree set up her sewing machine in front of her snack shop to attract more customers and help maximize profit.

Witnessing Jayashree's hard work to make her dream come true, YGB decided to provide Jayashree with the funds to pay off her loan which provided for Gopovsad's annual tuition. She will now be able to pay this back, and retain the profits from her hard work.

Jayashree and YGBThis was an equally compelling day for both Jayashree and the YGB community.

By giving, we receive. By empowering others, we empower ourselves.

YGB New Initiative "Sister Aid": Sustainability and Transparency

YGB has been exploring a way to get involved directly in supporting our struggling sisters in India. This new initiative "Sister Aid" will directly fund mothers, daughters and orphans with programs for education, vocational training, and micro credit programs.

We will update you about the donation recipients, how the donation is spent and the impact to these projects. We will start supporting a group of 22 impoverished mothers in South Kolkata. More details in January, 2011!!

  NISHTHA women
"Sister Aid" will benefit these mothers and daughters, Village of Tripuranagara, West Bengal

Exciting News!

Sophie Herbert and kidsYGB New Ambassador

YGB is thrilled to welcome Sophie Herbert as YGB Ambassador! Sophie is an alignment-focused yoga teacher, a singer-songwriter, and a visual artist. She has lived, studied, and volunteered extensively in India, and she teaches yoga in Brooklyn and Manhattan. She has been supporting Deenabandhu Orphanage outside of Mysore since 2006, visiting there annually, teaching yoga to and spending time with the children there.

"I never imagined how drastically a country could influence my life. My regular visits to India, which began in college, have transformed my ambitions as an artist, yoga practitioner/teacher, and human being. They inspired the most empowering realization: to never underestimate our ability to positively transform the world through small, tangible actions. Additionally, the incredible hospitality I've encountered in India constantly reminds me that there is no wealth without love. India has reinforced my appreciation for all I have and all I can do. It is my duty to give back to a place that has given me so much.

I am so grateful to work with Yoga Gives Back, an organization that understands the enormous power of working one small step at a time."

Check out Sophie's very insightful blog of our visit to Jayashree at: http://wholelivingdaily.wholeliving.com/2010/11/journey-with-yoga-gives-back-part-ii.html

Check out Sophie's "The Yoga Show" on the Martha Stewart Show: http://www.marthastewart.com/show/the-martha-stewart-show/the-yoga-show

More Exciting News!

The Martha Stewart Show

Be sure to set your DVRs for Wednesday, December 22nd, because Yoga Gives Back will be included in The Martha Stewart Show: The Giving Show! On the Hallmark Channel, Wednesday, December 22, 11am (EST), 7am/10am/2pm (PST) in most areas. Check your local listings.

The Martha Stewart Show: The Giving Show

YGB Donation Class Relay Update

The YGB virtual torches are passing through New York, Miami, Philadelphia, Nashville, and Moline, IL, connecting the global yoga community.

Shannon MoranShannon Moran, Moline, IL
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 18, 9:00AM

Indigo Wellness
1621 5th Ave, Moline, IL 61265
(309) 764-YOGA

Daina LewisDaina Lewis, Moline, IL
MONDAY, DECEMBER 20, 6:30PM

Annual Solstice with 108 Sun Salutations
Indigo Wellness
1621 5th Ave, Moline, IL 61265
(309) 764-YOGA

Shannon Paige SchneiderShannon Paige Schneider, Boulder, CO
SUNDAY, JANUARY 2, 1:30-3:30PM

The Lila of Nyasa, The Sacred Root of Vinyasa, Placing Your Attention in The Meaningful Moments of the Flow
Om Time
2035 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80302
(720) 565-6115

Want to start a relay from your city? Check out the YGB Donation Class Relay page for more details.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Daina Lewis"The Last Class of the Year" to benefit Yoga Gives Back with Amy Bratton. YGB's Oregon debut!

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 31, 4:00PM
Yoga Union
2043 SE 50th Ave., Portland, OR 97215

Scott Lewicki"Resolve to Give Back!" with Scott Lewicki

SATURDAY, JANUARY 15, 6:30-9:30PM
Guerilla Yoga, Hollywood Dance Center
817 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood, CA 90038
(323) 467-0825

View updates and more upcoming events on our Facebook page and web site!

RECENT EVENTS AND APPRECIATION

Daphne LarkinTHURSDAY, NOVEMBER 25 @ SANCTUARY YOGA, NASHVILLE, TN

Donation Class Relay "Prana Flow Class"
with Daphne Larkin

This was YGB's debut in Tennessee. Thank you so much Daphne for hosting this class on Thanksgiving Day, and 30+ Sanctuary community members who attended to support our cause. Your contribution is making a huge impact.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10 @ EXHALE, VENICE

"Empowering Women" Workshop Holiday Special

Great seamless dance and flow class by Micheline Berry, Jo Tastula, Isabelle de Soleil and Keri Ann Terifold. Fantastic live music by Momo Loudiyi and Bahramji, playing timeless Sufi music. Thank you also for treats and great raffle prizes by Le Pain Quotidien, Dream Yoga Mats, Casa by Lesa Wallace, M Cafe, Gaiam, Magic Bullet, and Youthology. Fun photos by Lonnie Butler. Thank you Exhale Venice and all of you who supported this special evening sharing your compassion!!

View more event photos on our Facebook page!

IN THIS ISSUE

SUCCESS STORY
YGB Visits Jayashree

YGB NEW INITIATIVE
Sister Aid

EXCITING NEWS!

DONATION CLASS RELAY UPDATE

UPCOMING EVENTS

RECENT EVENTS AND APPRECIATION

DO YOU KNOW...?

Among 138 nations, where does India rank for gender equality?

a) 25, b) 122, c) 97

(Scroll down for answer.)

FOLLOW

Follow Yoga Gives Back on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!

JOIN
Sign up to receive this e-newsletter.

Email address:

DONATION

Your donation helps Yoga Gives Back's campaign to alleviate poverty in India through microfinancing. To make a donation, click the link below.

Do You Know...? answer:
b) 122

Source: Grameen Foundation

Yoga Gives Back is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization.

Question, comment, want to learn more?
Email info@yogagivesback.org.

www.yogagivesback.org